Thursday, June 17, 2010

Foggy Night

It was a foggy night last night. We tried to start the new schedule: Rotating the 10:00 shift every other day, then Adam does the 1:00AM and I do the 4:00AM shift. It didn't get off to a good start. We realized right before Adam was headed to bed that we hadn't given them their vitamins, which requires another bottle with the vitamin mixed with the breast milk. It's not a big deal normally, but at 10:00, with an exhausted mommy, it's a HUGE deal! So, Adam stayed up and helped me feed the girls their vitamins and went to bed. I finished feeding them and got them to bed around 11:00 and started pumping. By the time I was finished pumping, Regan was fussy. The girls love to be swaddled, but will wiggle themselves out of it and be fussy. I will try to swaddle them back up, but I'm not the expert swaddler...Adam is. It secretly drives me bonkers! He's so good at everything! So, I tried several times to swaddle little Regan, but she "Houdini-ed" her way out of it and start to cry. I finally woke up Adam at midnight to help. I felt so bad waking him up because he was in such a deep sleep. Poor guy doesn't know his name for the first 60 seconds after waking up. He was standing over the crib looking at Regan trying to swaddle her, but sort of just tossing the blanket around. Then he asked "where the other one was"...two problems with the question...#1. There's 3 babies, so there's more than just another one. And #2. She (Reese) was right next to her in the crib! (Regan and Reese share a bed, Ryann is in the other crib.) She switch finally came on his brain and he swaddled her and we were able to go back to sleep...at 12:00AM.

Then at 1:30AM Adam wakes me up in a panic! We missed their 1:00 feeding! We slept through my alarm and them crying! We felt so bad!!! Ryann eats at 1:30, but now we had to feed all 3, so I was up again, even though it was technically Adam's shift. Teamwork. Adam said that when he went in to get the girls, Reese had scooted way over to Regan's head and was kicking Regan in the head, and Regan was trying to shew away Reese, all the while they both were screaming at the top of their lungs! So, we each grabbed a baby and started feeding. I noticed that Reese was taking her bottle like a champ! ...or was she? Nope, the nipple wasn't on tight enough, so although she was sucking, she wasn't getting much, it was dumped all down the front of her! If I had the energy, I would have cried, but I was in self-preservation mode, crying exudes energy that I needed to save for later! So, we changed her, heated a new bottle and fed her...AGAIN! We fed Ryann and put them all to bed and crashed ourselves at about 2:45AM.

It's 3:45AM. I wake up to warm bottles and start getting ready for their feed. By the time I fed 3 babies and pumped it was 6:00 before I was back in bed. Thankfully, Adam took the 7:00 feeding so I was able to get 3 1/2 hours of straight sleep, what a wonderful thing!

Today I got to have a little time to myself. Adam is just amazing. I wish I could say more about him, but that about sums it up. He encouraged me to go to my friend's house to swim (float) in their pool. So, with some coaxing, I took a couple hours and floated and had some girl time with some women from our chuch. It was so nice!

Well, it's 9:41, and it's time to start the 10:00 round. It's Adam's turn, but I'm helping and then headed to bed! I love my life!

4 comments:

Meagan Maynard said...

Oh my! Hoping for more smooth night for you all! Love ya! I'm bringing dinner on Monday, craving anything??

Patsy Scott said...

love the reality updates. Gee, how can a mother of ONE complain after reading this. :-)

Hirra said...

Oh Tami. That is so crazy. You definitely needed that swim (float) girl time, a breather. I hope it gets better. It will get better! You will get your sleep back again.

Jenny said...

Wow. I need to have Brent read this. You guys are doing an amazing job Tami!